A high protein snack when you are needing that “fix”
This is absolutely one of my favourite healthy eating “treats”. It gives you that chocolate fix when you are needing it but with a good serving of protein, you don’t need to cheat on your plan to do so! I wish I could tell you how long they last in the fridge but this recipe has never lasted more than five days in my house …. because we eat them all too quickly!!
An important tip would be to not skip the coconut extract (found in the baking aisle). I find them very bland and I can taste the protein powder too much when I left it out.
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 3 Scoops your favourite Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup Cocoa
- Handful of finely chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 Cup Natural Peanut or Almond Butter
- Artificial coconut flavouring (important)
- Extra shredded coconut for rolling
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Rub in and combine the nut butter.
- Combine 1/2 tsp coconut flavour with 1/3 cup of water and slowly add water until it forms a slightly sticky dough like consistency.
- If too dry to form balls, slowly add more water one drop at a time (gets too sticky fast so be careful).
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls and roll in extra shredded coconut. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 36 balls
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried cumin
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- **2 ears corn, kernels removed
- **1 cup cooked brown rice
- Juice of two limes
- Greek yogurt, fresh cilantro, or avocado for garnishing
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until soft about 5 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, garlic, dried oregano, and cumin. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes with their juices, worcestershire sauce, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Add lentils, corn, and cooked rice.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes just to heat lentil and rice through. Add lime juice and season with salt.
- Garnish with cilantro, diced avocado, and a scoop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
Love your pizza but
want need to find a healthier option to your thick crust, fatty meat options? How about using cauliflower as your crust. You have to trust me with this one … I am not a cauliflower lover but this works! Just make sure to cook your crust before you add your toppings or it will be soggy. (The pizza is the picture was done for a family and includes chicken, lean ground beef and veggies on the adult side. Who’s says your whole family can’t eat healthy?!?).
• 1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp. dried oregano
• ½ tsp. crushed garlic
• ½ tsp. garlic salt
• Olive oil (optional)
• Pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings
• Small amount of low-fat cheese
To “Rice” the Cauliflower
1. Take one head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves and chop the florets into chunks.
2. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like a grain (do not over-do the pulse or you will purée it). If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater.
3. Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce the cooking time). There is no need to add water as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. (One large head should produce 3 cups of riced cauliflower.
To Make the Pizza Crust
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cooked sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and small amount of mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt. Transfer to the cookie sheet and using your hands, pat out into a 9” round.
3. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
4. Bake 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
To Finish the Pizza
1. Remove crust from oven and add your favourite pizza sauce, toppings and cheese (if desired).
2. Place under broiler at high heat just until the cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).